Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The First (Big) Step

After the biopsy, the diagnosis, the MRI and the CT scans came the question, "What next?" For me, the decision was easy. I wanted this cancer out of me! I wanted surgery as soon as it could be arraigned.
However, nothing about breast cancer is simple, including, it seems, scheduling surgery. My oncologist called my surgeon and the surgeon's office gave me a date and time for surgery--Tuesday, 12/04. After giving this date to the most affected people in my life and adjusting my work schedule, I received a call from the surgeon's office. "You've decided to have surgery first, instead of chemo?" asked his assistant. "Yes. You set it for Tuesday, 12/04, right?" I replied. No. Not exactly. She thought the surgery was to be installation of a medi-port (which would be used for the chemo-therapy). I thought the surgery was the double mastectomony I had decided upon. So, she scheduled a new surgery date at a hospital, not an out-patient facility, and a full week after the date I'd first been given. I bitched a bit about a week's delay, but what could I do? I adjusted to the new date, rescheduled things at work, and prepared myself for surgery on 12/12/12. (I secretly liked the date. It is one I would not forget!)
But, everything changed once more (I guess my bitching was effective) and surgery was re-scheduled yet again for Thursday, 12/06. Another round of notifications and re-scheduling and finally the first big step was taken. It will take a while to fully recover, but the surgery is over, I'm off the Lortab, and it feels like progress is being made. Surgery has removed as much of this cancer as possible and more sophisticated weapons will be brought in next. And, as of today, I'm medically cleared to drive!

No comments:

Post a Comment